The hot tub is always hot before you get in, but then it just settles to a wet warm feeling that leaves you wanting to get out. Adultery isn’t much different.
Next time you look over the fence and start wondering how you can get there to enjoy your neighbor’s nice looking turf, stop and think, and here are some things you should think about:
- Feelings aren’t always a reliable barometer of a hopeful outcome. Love is a decision that has positive feelings as cultivated but not necessarily the other way around.
- There is a difference between attraction and love. There is no sin in attraction, but there are multiple generational sins in adultery.
- Looks are deceptive. Cosmetics and a shopping trip to Victoria Secrets can hide a lot of what a husband may not want. A gym membership and credit cards can also hide some serious personality issues that a wife may not want.
- Eventually, all you will have is your children and all they will have is the life you’ve taught them to live – by your example.
- And my favorite consideration when it comes to human behavior decisions… Hebrews 9:27 “it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment” (ESV). You will have to explain your adultery decision to God the Judge, sooner or later.
What if you’ve already gotten into that hot tub? Let me add, the very next verse in Hebrews 9:28 also says “so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him” (ESV).
I understand that we are fallen people and that a lot have found adultery to be a vehicle out of a troubled marriage or just an unplanned ignorantly allowed circumstance and to that I say, there is forgiveness in Jesus and a new life in following Him.
Subscribe to my posts to receive in your email box by visiting http://www.stevedurkac.org/posts-by-email/.