The Millennium: A Sequence of Events
If one looks at the sequence of events regarding the 1000 years of Revelation 20 through an Historicist view, these 17 points would explain its progression:
- Jesus returns for His as promised in John 14:1-3 and detailed in 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18.
- The saints who have died in Christ will be resurrected. 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17; 1 Corinthians 15:42-44.
- This is the first resurrection mentioned by Jesus in John 5:28-29.
- Then the saints who are alive will be translated from mortality to immortality. 1 Thessalonians 4:17; 1 Corinthians 15:51-55.
- The wicked are destroyed by the return of the Lord Jesus and angelic hosts. 2 Thessalonians 1:6-8; 2 Thessalonians 2:8; Revelation 19:21; Jeremiah 25:33.
- The saints who have been caught-up with the Lord Jesus return with Him to Heaven. 1 Thessalonians 4:17; John 14:1-3.
- Satan is bound 1000 years to a desolate earth with no one to tempt. Revelation 20:1-3; Revelation 20:5; Jeremiah 4:23-27.
- The chains that bind Satan and his evil angels are the circumstances of his sin. Revelation 20:1-3; 2 Peter 2:4; Isaiah 24:19-22.
- The saints will reign with Christ 1000 years in Heaven. Revelation 20:4.
- The saints will judge the world in a review of the books that vindicates God’s justice. 1 Corinthians 6:2-3; Jude 1:6; Daniel 7:27.
- At the end of the 1000 years the New Jerusalem descends from Heaven to Earth with Christ and the saints. Revelation 20:9; Revelation 21:2; Zechariah 14:9.
- At the end of the 1000 years the second resurrection of the wicked takes place on earth. John 5:28-29; Revelation 20:5; Revelation 20:13.
- At the end of the 1000 years with the second resurrection, Satan and his evil angels are loosed from their prison of circumstances and likely resume where they left off in Revelation 16:16 and they lead a final assault against the descending city of God and the Lord and His saints. Revelation 20:7-9; Zechariah 14:4.
- Satan is cast into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:10
- The wicked who have been raised in the second resurrection and have rejected the Atonement of Christ are judged. Revelation 20:11-13.
- The wicked are cast into the lake of fire, the second death. Revelation 20:14-15.
- The Earth is made new and the New Jerusalem becomes the forever home of God and Heaven. Revelation 21:1; 2 Peter 3:10-14.