4) When He Returns
In our previous lesson we looked at the general signs of Christ’s return, but in this one, we want to look more at the manner and reason to hope in the soon return of Jesus Christ to rapture His saints to Heaven.
This is not a study to convince you to pledge to any particular eschatological position, but to encourage you in the promises of our Savior’s certain return and that He will redeem us from God’s wrath. (Wrath is God’s judgement upon Satan’s followers, while persecution is Satan’s judgement upon God’s followers.)
When it comes to the teachings of Scripture, we ought to take a lesson from the Bereans, mentioned in the book of Acts, because they didn’t just assume the Apostle Paul was right, they “searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so” (Acts 17:11).
So, let’s ask the Bible about this event…
- What hopeful promise did Jesus give in John 14:1-3?
- What does the apostle Paul call the return of Christ? Titus 2:13
- Have Bible prophets predicted the return of Christ throughout the centuries? Psalm 50:3; Jude 14
- Will His return be a real, literal event or simply a spiritual coming into our hearts? Acts 1:9-11; Matthew 24:27
- What will the manner of Christ’s return be? It is important to note that Jesus will not set his feet upon the earth at our rapture. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
- What event or sign will cause us to know that Jesus has come back to earth to establish His Kingdom, not just rapture us out? Zechariah 14:4; Revelation 19:20; 2 Peter 3:13
- Will believers be inflicted by the tribulation wrath meant for unbelievers? 1 Thessalonians 1:10; 5:9-10; Revelation 3:10-11; Psalm 91:5-8
- How does the Bible describe the awesome majesty of our Lord’s return? Matthew 24:30; Matthew 16:27
- If someone tells you Christ has returned to some distant location, should you believe it? Matthew 24:23
- What thrilling climactic event will take place when Christ returns for His church? 1 Corinthians 15:51-53
- What is the attitude of the unsaved regarding our Savior’s return? Revelation 6:14-16;
- Since the return of Jesus is soon, what should be our attitude toward it as a doctrine? 1 Thessalonians 4:18; Isaiah 25:9; Revelation 22:20